History and Tradition
September 12, 1910: UTS opens its doors for the first time with H. J. Crawford as Headmaster. There are 325 students - all boys: 150 in the junior school, 175 in the senior school.
1912: The Cadet Corps is officially inaugurated as part of the Prime Minister's Honour Guard at the Exhibition grounds; it would remain part of UTS life until the early-1970s.
1913: The first UTS class graduates and the first Old Boys' Banquet is held.
1914: An inaugural UTS yearbook, The Annals, is published. The first mandatory entrance examination is held.
1919: The senior hockey team wins the inaugural Memorial Cup becoming the Dominion Junior Hockey Champions.
1920: The first issue UTS Monthly (later called The Twig - the name still in use today) is published. A Remembrance Service at Convocation Hall dedicates plaques to those who served and died in the WW1.
1922: H. J. Crawford dies, W. C. Ferguson becomes acting Headmaster.
1923: J. G. Althouse become the second Headmaster.
1923-24:The Huron wing and auditorium are built.
1931: The western extension is added.
1934: Dr. Althouse becomes Dean of the Ontario College of Education; A. C. Lewis becomes the third Headmaster.
1943: The junior school is closed.
1944: Lewis succeeds Althouse as OCE Dean; W. Brock MacMurray '24, is named the fourth Headmaster.
1949: The Spadina wing (today's U of T Department of Sociology) is opened.
1952: Grades 7 and 8 are reintroduced.
1967-69:The 60s bring substantial social changes to UTS: for example, bolted-down wooden desks are removed from classrooms, the Student Council established, the dress code is relaxed.
1970-71: Derek Bate '44 - Assistant Headmaster since 1967 - becomes acting headmaster.
1972: Brock MacMurray retires after 28 years; Donald Gutteridge becomes heads the school and adopts the title "Principal".
September 12, 1973: 63 years to the day after first opening, UTS becomes a co-educational institution, admitting girls to both grades 7 and 8.
1978: First co-educational graduating class. The Old Boys Association becomes the Alumni Association.
1983: William Warden is named sixth Principal.
1988: Al Fleming '54 becomes seventh Principal, the second alumnus to hold the position.
1993: The provincial government announces the elimination of its annual grant to UTS.
1994: Preserving the Opportunity campaign is established to create a $10 million endowment.
1995: Stan Pearl is named eighth Principal.
1996: UTS increases the size of the incoming class from 78 to 104, a move to increase enrolment to over 600 within six years. The Endowment campaign draws to a close, exceeding target figure by over $4million.
2000: The 90th anniversary of UTS. Linda Newnham becomes the ninth Principal.
2001: Robin Brooke-Smith becomes acting-principal.
2001: The OISE/UT Dean forms the UTS Interim Board tasked with examining UTS governance issues and making recommendations regarding a permanent Board of Directors.
2002: Consultation process begins with UTS stakeholders to determine the future direction of the School.
2003: Feedback from consultation process overwhelmingly supports UTS becoming an independent corporation, affiliated with the University of Toronto. The Interim Board submits its recommendation to the University’s Governing Council.
2004: UTS becomes an independent, not-for-profit school and signs an Interim Affiliation Agreement with the University of Toronto. First UTS Board elected.
2005: Ron Mintz becomes the twelfth Principal.
2006: UTS and U of T sign a 15-year Affiliation Agreement. Michaele M. Robertson becomes the thirteenth Principal.
2008: The strategic plan, Building the Future, is released to UTS community.
2009-10: UTS celebrates its centennial.
2011: Rosemary Evans becomes the fourteenth principal.